Golden Temple is one of the most beautiful yet sacred place in India. Golden Temple is also known as “Harmandir Sahib.” It is located in the city of Amritsar in the state of Punjab.
But why this place is known as Golden Temple? Let’s get to know about the facts about this place.
- Golden Temple is the most important pilgrimage site for Sikhism and holiest Gurudwara. Gurudwara means a door to guru. It is known as Golden Temple because the dome of the Gurudwara is covered with pure gold. It is made up of white marble. You can enjoy the architectural beauty of this Gurudwara. The temple was first covered in gold by the Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 1830. It took 162 Kg of Gold. Back in 90’s it was renovated with 500 kg of Gold. All the gold coating was done by the professional and skilled artists from different parts of the country. The gold used in the coating was 24 karat gold which is purer then the karat gold which is used in present.
- Golden Temple was initially built around 1574 A.D. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the eternal Guru of the Sikhs is located inside the temple.
- The architecture of this place not only symbolize beauty but it also symbolize the openness to all the peoples from different religions. It has four doors to the main temple which shows their love and openness towards everyone. 35% of the pilgrims who visits here are non-sikhs which shows their attraction towards this holy site.
- Golden temple attracts 3 million visitors in a month which is not a small thing. Many people come here to admire it’s beauty and many people come here to worship but the one common thing between both these people is peace of mind.
- The Golden Temple is surrounded by a man-made lake which is known as “Amrit-Sarovar” which means ‘the pool of holy nectar.’ This is one of the main attraction of the Golden Temple because the water of this pool is believed to have medicinal properties. When people visit to Golden Temple, they wash their hands and feet in this pool before entering the temple. Sometimes people also take a dip in the pool.
- The largest langar of all Gurudwaras is organised everyday at the Golden Temple. Langar is a ‘sewa’ in which thousands of people are fed for free. But in Golden Temple around one lakh people fed everyday in a langar and during special occasion, near about 2 lakh people served by this langar. The food prepared in the langar is complete hygienic and it is served by the volunteers.
- When food is served in a langar, all the devotees sit down in rows on the floor irrespective of their religion, cast. All the devotees are considered as one and equal.
These were the some things or facts that you must know before going there. But still there are few things that you must know like when you enter the gurudwara you must cover your head with cloth for showing the respect. This rule is valid for both man and woman.
Second thing is if you are visiting Golden Temple then don’t miss the night view of this temple when the temple is illuminated by the lights and the lake surrounding the Temple reflects those lights.
NOTE: 1. If you want to attend the Langar then you must visit the temple in afternoon.
2. Best months to visit Amritsar is between October and March but if you are more a winter person then you should visit Amritsar in December but it will make your dip in “Amrit Sarovar” harder.
3. You can visit the Gurudwara at any time but if you want to ignore a massive amount of crowd then early morning at 4 AM or late at night is the best time to visit plus if you are visiting the temple in early morning then witnessing the return or installation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib, the holy book of Sikhs is a kind of bonus for you.
4. The main festival which is celebrated in Golden Temple is ‘Vaisakhi.’ It is held in the second week of April every year. This festival is the celebration of the founding of the Khalsa Kult.
5. If you are in the mood of exploring the Amritsar then you can stay at a comfy hotel preferably in the center of the city because all sights and activities are close by.
This year. on 10th September, the first Prakash Purab of Shri Guru Granth Sahib ji, the holy Granth of sikhism and the current and the last sikh guru celebrated.On this occasion the Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple) was decorated in such a manner that you can not miss it.
Things you can do during your trip to Amritsar
- After visiting Golden Temple, you can go and explore numerous shops and dining hubs. The dining hubs serve a wide range of deliciously mouth watering Punjabi dishes. The local shops offer woodcarvings, woolen garments, and phulkaries.
- you can visit Indo-Pak Border at Wagah. You can hire a cab for a day. It will take 30 Km from city to Attari where the border is. If you want to witness the closing ceremony at the border then you should visit there at 4 PM.
- The top places to visit in Amritsar are he Jallianwala Bagh, the summer palace of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and the Central Sikh Museum located on the 2nd floor of the Golden Temple complex.
- And the last but not the least you can take the food tour which is the best thing to do in Amritsar.
So, if you are planning to visit Golden Temple then share your experience of your visit to Golden Temple here in the comment box.